Car Insurance in Texas – What is Required?

Get peace of mind with full auto coveragePutting your car on the road requires you to know what you need in order to put it there safely.  One of those things is car or auto insurance.  Not only does car insurance offer you protection, it also is required in the great State of Texas in order to legally drive your car anywhere off of private property.  There’s your basic insurance, and then there are additional/optional kinds of insurance that you can add on on top of the legal basics that you need to have.

The requirements

When you’re shopping around for insurance, know that you will at least have to have what’s called liability insurance.  This is the basic protection that will cover the financials in the event that you cause an accident.  The amounts vary, but the basics that you absolutely need to have in terms of numbers are:

  • $30,000 coverage per injured person in the accident (This would go partially towards paying for lost wages and pain and suffering)
  • $60,000 overall for the injuries inflicted in the accident (This goes towards medical expenses or funeral arrangements if needed)
  • $25,000 coverage for any property damage as a result of the accident (This would also include a rental fee for the other person while their car gets repaired or replaced)

Also included in the legal coverage, you can get protection from legal issues such as the other person suing you from the accident.  This can cover up to $250 in bail if you get arrested, a legal defense, and protection for you and your family, including family members who are living away for work or school.

With these minimum requirements and amounts met, you are legally able to put your car on the road and drive with some peace of mind and minimal protection.

The additional options to highly consider

Now that you have the minimum, it is recommended that you consider more coverage in terms of insurance. There are several additional options to add onto to your insurance that you might want to consider for your own protection. Further, if you have a loan on your car, the lienholder will require you to have additional coverage.  Some of the most popular additions include:

Collision coverage

This kind of insurance will pay for repairs on your damaged car in case of an accident, or to pay it out to you in actual cash value of the car minus the depreciation, if the car is considered a total loss. This coverage is required if you have a lien on your vehicle.

Comprehensive coverage

If your car gets damaged by natural disasters or a fire, stolen, or vandalized, comprehensive coverage could help cover the costs needed to repair the damage up to the amount of your car minus the deprecation. This coverage is also required if you have a lien on your vehicle.

Uninsured/Underinsuranced driver coverage

This will help cover damages and injuries in the event that the other driver in the accident doesn’t have insurance, or is underinsured.

Whether you’re interested only in the coverage that makes driving legal in Texas, or you consider some of the additional pieces to add on, knowledge is power, especially when it comes to insurance and knowing how and where you’re protected in case you ever end up in a situation where you need it.

Should you have any questions about the above auto insurance pieces or the other additional types of coverage like rental reimbursement, towing and driving in other states, contact Paula Smith Insurance at (281) 488-8880 as we are here to help you and your family.

Leave a Comment